Friday, November 20, 2009

Been tagged with "What do you do with your leftover bento?"


Arkon_babe tagged me a while back, so here you go...

The question is what do I do with all the leftovers from making bento.

Like if I make a carrot star, what do I do with the carrot pieces that aren't a star?

Well, I suppose leftovers have five possible fates:

1. eaten on site by me

2. eaten on site by The Mister

3. thrown away in the garbage

4. saved in the fridge

5. saved in the freezer

I got out of the habit of composting when I moved to the country. I know that sounds counterintuitive, but when you have food scraps heaping in the backyard, you attract all sorts of attention from the local wild animals like wild pigs, rats, mice, and squirrels. Even if you put it in a well contained container, the mere possibility of a free lunch brings them around in droves. And since they anticipate yummy leftovers, they need a place to stay so why not under the house or in the engine compartment of your car.

Since I've moved to the new ranch, I've considered composting again, and since I garden, it might be a good thing to consider. But I have to admit that since I have been bento boxing, the amount of trash has drastically decreased. I think this has to do with eating more whole food and less packaged food. Although I do recycle cardboard and plastic, so much packaging is not recyclable.

But it's good to be reminded that doing simple things like composting leftovers of bento helps keep the whole process cyclic and one with the earth.

I nominate Texas Mom of 4 to be next in line.

1 comment:

  1. I have given you an award, please stop by my non bento blog to collect it!

    ReplyDelete